I have issues with my thyroid. I finally got all of my blood test results back and everything looked great except for my thyroid. My TSH is 3.5 (which is high according to new standards) and my antibodies are definitely high. According to my RE and everything I've read on the web, this means that my thyroid is in trouble. So my doc has put me on 25 mcg of Levothyroxine. I'm taking the brand version called Synthroid though.
I've read that having higher levels of TSH can cause weight gain, fatigue, dry, brittle hair and depression. While I won't say that my symptoms are completely due to my thyroid, I'm hoping that they are. I can't wait to start taking the meds tomorrow AM so I can see what they do. I've also read that 200 mcg of Selenium is also helpful for patients with hypothyroid issues, so I've started that as well. My prenatals only contain 50 mcgs, so I think the extra may help.
My DH laughs at me because once I latch onto something, I dig really hard for a few weeks. But I've never had to take a daily medication before, so I have been trying to read everything I can about thyroid issues. It's important for me to feel informed about my health. I know the internet isn't a doctor, but there is some good information out there. I like to know what I can before talking to a doctor. That way, when I do talk to the doctor, I can ask the right questions and be somewhat knowledgeable about his suggestions.
As for everything else, it is good to know that my other hormones are well within normal limits and that I don't have any other issues. I am not at high for cystic fibrosis, fragile x and some other genetic diseases. That's great news because I understand that not everyone is that lucky. So to have a thyroid issue which is completely treatable is not awful news. Especially since taking care of it may help with TTC!
DH also went to a urologist. He basically has a clean bill of health, but the doctor wants him to take another sperm analysis along with a DNA test and check his hormones just to rule everything out. I'm hoping his numbers come back great, so we can just feel comfortable that we're both healthy. Who knows, we may be in a great place now that I am addressing my thyroid!
No comments:
Post a Comment